Thursday, April 30, 2009

I have found my purpose...and have turned it in.

I have finally finished my statement of purpose for SCAD and have turned it in. I am so happy its done. Now I'm on to the other things in life that are pressing.

Oh, we have free tickets to the Wolverine opening tonight, so I guess you could say we're celebrating the completion of the application process.

Below is my paper. Read it if you wish.

My decision to pursue an advanced degree in graphic design began while still working on my undergraduate studies. While my professors were helpful, the course offerings were limited, leaving gaps in my education. By pursuing graduate education at SCAD, I hope to enhance my abilities as a designer in order to graphically speak through the artwork I create.

Through my academic experiences, I have learned a great deal about my abilities and myself as an artist. Specifically, I have learned how to be a critical thinker, opportunity taker, and self-motivated individual. One of my classes, Art in Public Spaces, helped me develop these abilities since it simulated what professional artists undergo when vying for a public art contract. This class challenged me to create designs that were low maintenance, long-lasting and practical for the space; it further encouraged me to collaborate with my fellow classmates and combine our individual strengths for our project’s benefit.

Beyond the classroom, I attended special programs and lectures to help in my understanding of design. I was chosen as the layout and design editor for Lipscomb University’s yearbook, later becoming the editor. I gained an intimate knowledge of design programs like PageMaker and InDesign, for which no classroom work could equal. For further inspiration, I looked to public spaces and did everything from investigating signage at the mall to studying billboards. When a piece caught my eye, I tried to reconceptualize it and incorporate it in my work. Such passion has given me the drive to improve the world around me.

These experiences motivated me to find a career where I could refine my skills. At Talstone (a healthcare marketing firm), I realized that by working closely with highly trained professionals, I could broaden and enhance my design abilities. Throughout my time with this company, I have created materials for a variety of industries and also have gained an intimate knowledge of production management, since I have been responsible for quoting, selecting paper, and doing press checks. However, on-the-job training can only lead me so far, and the need for further education became apparent.

By attending SCAD, I can begin to look at art in new ways and can communicate more effectively through the pieces I create. My desire is for my work to be at the forefront of the graphic design world. I will become a designer who works well collaboratively or individually, can think conceptually, and creates pieces that are influential. With the help of the professors at SCAD, I will take my passion for design to the next level and will become one of the best designers in my field.

No comments:

Post a Comment